Admission : IISC Bangalore Admissions 2009
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore 560 012, INDIA
Telegram: SCIENCE BANGALORE 560 012
Fax: +91-80-2360 0683/0085
ADMISSIONS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2009-2010
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) was conceived as a ‘Research Institute’ or ‘University of Research’ by Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, in the twilight years of the 19th century. A long period of almost thirteen years was to elapse from the initial conception in 1896 to the birth of the Institute on May 27, 1909. The early history of the Institute is a fascinating chapter in the story of higher education and scientific research in India. The cast of characters in the drama that led to the establishment of the Institute includes, in addition to its charismatic and generous founder J.N. Tata, figures from the pages of Indian history. There is Swami Vivekananda, whom J.N. Tata befriended on his famous voyage to the United States, the Maharaja of Mysore, Shri Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his mother then acting on his behalf, and Lord Curzon the Viceroy of India, whose first task on arrival on December 31, 1898 was to receive a draft proposal prepared by the Provisional Committee set up to plan the establishment of the Institute.
1. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an appropriate field of Engineering/Technology/Architecture; or Master’s degree in Science in an appropriate field/Agriculture/Biotechnology, Architecture; or MBBS; or M Pharma; or M V Sc, or Master’s degree in German Language; or in Economics, Geography, Social Work, Psychology, Management, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science/ Application as applicable to the respective departments.
2. Qualifying in one of the following appropriate Tests (with valid certificate) is mandatory for the candidates applying for Ph D in Science, Interdisciplinary programs and M Sc(Engg): CSIR-UGC NET for JRF; or UGC-NET for JRF; or DBT JRF or ICMR JRF; or JEST; or NBHM; or IISc Entrance Test; or GATE. This is not applicable to the candidates who possess a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology/ Management (post BE/B Tech) who wish to apply for a Ph d in Engineering.
3. IISc Entrance Test is conducted in Atmospheric Sciences, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Ecological Sciences, Mathematics, Management Studies, Materials Science.
4. Candidates with BE/ B Tech/ M Sc or equivalent degree who may not have qualified in any of the above mentioned National Entrance Tests will also be considered for the Ph D program in Engineering. Short listing for interview of such candidates is based on their academic performance in the qualifying degree (upto 3rd year in BE / B Tech, or 1st year in M Sc), and their performance in 10th and 12th /PUC examinations.
How to apply:
1. The Application Forms for Research, Course and Integrated Ph D programs may be obtained by any of the following two methods:
Against a cash payment of Rs.700/- from select CANARA BANK Branches$ .
Send your request for application form with 2 address slips (stickers), and a demand draft for Rs.700/- for general category (Rs.350/- for SC/ST/PH categories, along with a copy of an appropriate certificate) to the Deputy Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012. The DD must be drawn in favor of “Registrar, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore”.
Online application – Online submission of application may be made by accessing the IISc website www.iisc.ernet.in/admissions w.e.f. 09.02.2009. Online application fee is Rs.500/- for general category and Rs.250/- for SC/ST/PH categories.
For External Registration Program - Candidates should write to the Deputy Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit, IISc, Bangalore - 560 012, enclosing a DD for Rs.1500/- drawn in favor of “Registrar, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore”.
Submission of Application Forms.
Filled-in off-line and online application forms(hard copy) should reach the Deputy Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit, IISc, Bangalore-560012 on or before 23.03.2009.
Separate application form should be used for each program viz Research or Course or Integrated Ph D. Only one application form will be entertained for each program.
Dates to remember:
Commencement of issue of Application forms (select Canara Banks and IISc) and submission of online application: 02/09/09
Last date for issue of Application forms (select Canara Banks and IISc) and closure of website for submission of online application: 03/18/09
Last date for receipt of completed Application forms both offline and online (hard copy): 03/23/09
IISc Entrance Test: 04/26/09