(Notification) Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) - 2017
The Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) (statutory
body established through an Act of Parliament) recognizes JEST as a National
Eligibility Test (NET) in their office Memo vide OM No.SB/S9/Z-01/2015. Fellows
working in SERB programmes and qualified in NET are eligible to get enhanced
- M.Sc. in Physics (all participating Institutes).
Additionally, some institutes accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech.
in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, as listed below.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics
and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA,
JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER
- M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be
cnsidered at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be
considered at IPR.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or
Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B.Tech Eng. Phys.will be considered at TIFR.
- M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related
disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of
Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC
- M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science
Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline,
with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech - Ph.D Programme (Physics)
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- Bachelor’s degree in science/ mathematics/ /statistics /computer
science/information technology/Engineering will considered at IMSc.
- B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical /
Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications /
Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered
- B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum
of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.
- B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR,
Integrated M.Sc. / Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- Bachelor’s degree in science/ mathematics/ statistics /computer
science/information technology/Engineering. All candidates successful in the
course work of this programme shall be awarded an M.Sc. degree.
Integrated M.Tech - Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and
Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics.
Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram.
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any discipline.
M. Sc. Programme at HRI.
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech. degree in any discipline
- HRI is starting a new M.Sc. programme in Physics from 2017. The
Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2017.
Vector algebra and vector calculus, tensors, curvilinear coordinate systems,
linear algebra; Linear differential equations, elements of Sturm–Liouville
theory; Special functions; Complex analysis; Fourier series and Fourier
transforms, Laplace transforms; Elementary properties of discrete groups;
Elements of probability theory, error analysis.
Newton’s laws, conservation of energy and momentum, collisions; generalized
coordinates, principle of least action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations
of mechanics; symmetry and conservation laws; central force problem, Kepler
problem; small oscillations and normal modes; special relativity in classical
Electromagnetism & optics
Electrostatics and magnetostatics, boundary value problems, multipole
expansion; fields in conducting, dielectric, diamagnetic and paramagnetic media;
Faraday’s law and time varying fields; displacement current; Maxwell’s
equations; energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields; propagation of plane
electromagnetic waves, reflection, refraction; electromagnetic waves in
dispersive and conducting media; diffraction, interference, polarization.
Uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; central potentials, hydrogen
atom; orbital and spin angular momenta, addition of angular momenta; matrix
formulation of quantum theory, unitary transformations, Hermitian operators;
variational principle, time independent perturbation theory, time dependent
Thermodynamics & statistical physics
Laws of thermodynamics, work and heat, thermodynamic potentials; Elements of
kinetic theory; Maxwell’s relations; statistical ensembles; partition function;
classical ideal gas, harmonic oscillators; classical and quantum statistics;
Fermi and Bose gases; black body radiation; statistics of paramagnetism
Basics of semiconductor; p-n junctions, diodes, transistors; LCR circuits,
rectifiers, amplifiers, active filters and oscillators; basics of OPAMPs and
their applications; basics of digital electronics.
EST will be held at the locations indicated below.
An Application Fee of Rs. 300 (Rs 150 for SC/ST applicants ONLY) is required
to be paid along with the application which can be paid online using
Debit/Credit cards and Net-banking. Payment by any other mode will NOT be
accepted. Please check the Available Payment Options and Transaction Charges
How to Apply:
To apply online, applicants must create an account using a valid email-id.
This account will remain valid from the time of account creation till one month
after the date of declaration of results, for that year. Email-ids are linked to
the created account as well as to the application, and will be used for all
communications with the applicants. Therefore, the email-id should be active and
must not be changed during this period. To submit application online, applicants
must login to the created account and complete the application form. After
submission, an unique submission number will be sent to your email-id. Please
save all the emails sent to you and the unique submission number must be quoted
by the applicant for any communication with the JEST authority.
- Last date of ON-LINE submission of applications is December 16, 2016.