Indian Institute of Space Science
and Technology (IIST)
IIST-ISRO Fellowship For Ph.D. Programme
Applications are invited from highly motivated candidates for admission to
the Ph.D. Programme starting in July 2011, under two distinct schemes, namely
IIST-ISRO Fellowship [Fellowship of Rs.35,000 per month] and IIST Fellowship
[Fellowship of Rs.16,000/Rs.18,000 per month], in the areas of Aerospace
Engineering, Avionics, Chemistry, Earth & Space Sciences, Humanities,
Mathematics and Physics.
Minimum Qualifications: Masters Degree in the relevant area with first
class or equivalent. However, outstanding candidates with Bachelor’s Degree in
Engineering with an excellent academic record and aptitude for research may be
considered for direct admission to the Ph.D. Programme. Candidates with Master’s
Degree in basic science subjects and Humanities must be NET qualified (JRF) to
be considered for the Ph.D. programme.
Age Limit: Applicant should be below 28 years as on 6th June 2011. Age
relaxation is applicable as per Government Rules.
Nationality: Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
Research Fellowship and Placement/Bond:
- IIST-Ph.D. Research Fellowship will be Rs.35,000/- pm (all inclusive).
- Ph.D. Scholars will be required to assist the Department in tutorials
and related academic activity normally limited to 8 hours per week.
- The scholars will have to pay tuition / registration fee and fee for the
boarding / lodging/medical facilities etc., as per IIST rules.
- The candidates will be required to execute a bond to serve ISRO / IIST
for a minimum period of three years on successful completion of Ph.D. in a
position appropriate for Doctoral Degree holders.
- Applications in the prescribed format will be received until 6th June
- Candidates will be short-listed based on Academic records and other
relevant criteria like research experience, National Eligibility Tests, etc.
- Selection will be based on a written test followed by an interview.
- List of shortlisted candidates for written test and the dates of written
test / interview will be displayed in IIST website by 3rd week of June
- All short-listed candidates will be required to appear for a written
test in their relevant areas.
- Written test of two hours duration will be conducted at IIST, Trivandrum
during 1st week of July 2011.
- The written test will aim to evaluate the basic understanding of the
relevant subject area. The test may contain both descriptive and objective
- Candidates qualified in the written test will be required to appear for
an interview the following day.
- Selected candidates will be intimated within a week of the final
interview. Results will also be displayed in our website.
- Outstation candidates will be paid to and fro sleeper class train fare
by shortest route, or actual fare (whichever is lower) for attending the
test / interview.
How to Apply:
- Application form can be downloaded from IIST website
- Duly filled application form along with attested copies of documents
mentioned in the application form should be sent to The Administrative
Officer, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Valiamala
P.O., Thiruvananthapuram – 695547, Kerala, in a sealed envelope with the
superscription “Application for IIST Ph.D. Programme – July 2011”.
- Application form should be accompanied by a fee of Rs. 250/- (Rupees Two
Hundred and Fifty only) (Rs. 125/- for SC/ST candidates) in the form of
Demand Draft drawn in favour of The Registrar, IIST payable at
- Last date for receipt of the filled-in application form: Monday,
6th June 2011.
Any enquiry should be addressed to the Secretary, Research Council, IIST
at enquiry-phd(at)iist.ac.in, till 30th May, 2011.
Emails not containing full-name, postal-address,
contact-telephone-numbers and department-code/research-area of the prospective
candidate, or other forms of enquiries, will not be responded to.